Thursday, March 29, 2007

Taxis, Arabs and STUFF!

I'm going to have to get myself a regular taxi driver.... I discovered last night I had to walk quite a way from my new flat before I got to one....... and even walking down the street with a huge empty suitcase I hardly got any hassle from the guys hanging around...... a little by the time I reached the main road... but over all less stress than in zamalek (very surprised at this!!!) Anyway- dont mind walkng for a taxi like that- only a problem if I am dressed up to go out....

I also have a feeling that the area I am now in will be over-run with Arabs in the summer...... we'll see. In the summer saudi's, kuwaiti's etc come to Cairo to escape the heat and have some fun........ And thats where the problem lies- having fun isn't always limited to good muslim behaviour! There seems to be a belief that if a girl is walking down the street then its only because she is looking for a man who's car she can jump into! anyway- I might be predicting problems that won't happen here- we'll see..................

the very frightening thing about this move has been discovering how much STUFF i have. Never mind the 2 suitcases packed full of dance costumes.............. theres also 3 suitcases of clothes and at least one full case of toiletries????? !!!!!!!! And if anything here I am underestimating! guess when I do eventually come back to UK I'll be having to break my life long habit of hoarding!!! In meantime though- I am going to buy more nice things' pictures , mirrors etc....... I stayed in this last place a year rather than the intended 6 months and regret now strongly that I didn't get big mirror in to practise dance in front of etc- not going to do that again!

No comments: