Tuesday, May 03, 2011

blogging from work...

Thankfully work seems to be slowly picking up.... The tourists are steadily venturing back to Cairo, and most main streets and squares, especially downtown have stalls selling Egyptian flags, car stickers, pendants, sweat bands... you name it- it’s got a flag on it and is available to help you and the rest of the world celebrate the New Egypt!

In fact... you need to be careful to get the right flag... they also sell ‘new Libya’, Syria, Tunisia etc too! I bought myself a new handbag which IS the Egyptian Flag and its fabulous... I walk down the street, and as usual there is the various comments that the boys (let us not call them men, despite their often advanced years) cannot help themselves from uttering.... but then... as I walk past.. instead of the usual comments- which can be ruder and cruder when they get confidence at calling to your back.... instead of those i get ‘Allam Masr’ ‘The Egyptian flag!’ or even some nationalistic song sung to me... I cannot tell you what an improvement that is compared to the usual!!! My Flag bag saves me many frustrating angry moments!


Tonight in the taxi on the way to work, the taxi driver gave a group of youths some money... i couldn’t understand why these young fit boys were begging... so i asked.. and was told they were making Egypt more beautiful... they were painting the kerb stones and asking for help to buy more paint!

I’ve been attending the gym this past week or so... trying get rid of the ‘revolution’ belly as we in Cairo affectionately call the weight almost everyone in Cairo put on over those months.. with no work and imposed curfews.. all there was to do was sit at home, worry, and watch the news... and eat! Of course, i have the studio, so I could have been working out at home... but i am just not good at self motivation at all... In fact- that’s what’s been so great about the gym... I have a personal trainer who pushes me to work out harder and do the exercises i would for sure ignore, because they are hard, if he wasn’t there! Dance is usually enough for my fitness levels... and this is the 1st time ever since I started dancing 16 years ago that i have felt I really needed extra help... although if, sorry no WHEN, my work load increases (inshallah) then I wont be able to do both, and indeed wont have to! It amazes me how I can dance non stop for hours, literally... and be soaked with sweat, but not tired however 5 mins on a stepper machine in the gym has me fit to drop- I think the gym just aren’t playing the right music!!!

So today gym, work... and now.. i think I’ll go home, change and go out to salsa... maybe... although by the time the taxi gets me home there is the risk that the adrenaline created during my show may turn to tiredness, or hunger!!!

Summer is coming....... but before that the Randa course... so if i am not fit enough by the time that starts on the 21st May... then I am guessing I will be by the end of it!!!!!! Or dead! 

3 comments:

Foxy said...

Always love your posts! And I know what you mean by being able to dance for ages and not get tired, but that darn stepping machine just kills me! Love to hear about the positive atmosphere in Egypt at the moment too :)

harley gypsy2003 said...

u r 2 cooool, bella loma. love the flag bag , and the golden emblem s lovely. we r both adventurous n nature, I feel we are kndred sprits n bloodlnes, and in that, we both love to dance . I was always the grl who rode green horses and black harleys, never afraid of much. ths was what attracted me to your blogs, u r a courageous woman, who faces lfes fears head on, and conquers them. I admre that. I am older than you, but with your intelligence and your great attitude ,I respect you, as a great contribution to future women evertwhere,I do hope your back is better, I restraned mne ,have bad disc, afrad reinjured it x3, but is seeming ok, rode my steelhorse cochise back home from dancng&singng.ya do what ya gotta do, even n pain,the wind was a bit kinder travelin thru the mountains, which pushed less on my back. i would love to have been a little fly on the roof at party, to see the egyptian show and yours also,do u have any instructional dvds? Your follower and fan,gypsy

harley gypsy2003 said...

u r 2 cooool, bella loma. love the flag bag , and the golden emblem s lovely. we r both adventurous n nature, I feel we are kndred sprits n bloodlnes, and in that, we both love to dance . I was always the grl who rode green horses and black harleys, never afraid of much. ths was what attracted me to your blogs, u r a courageous woman, who faces lfes fears head on, and conquers them. I admre that. I am older than you, but with your intelligence and your great attitude ,I respect you, as a great contribution to future women evertwhere,I do hope your back is better, I restraned mne ,have bad disc, afrad reinjured it x3, but is seeming ok, rode my steelhorse cochise back home from dancng&singng.ya do what ya gotta do, even n pain,the wind was a bit kinder travelin thru the mountains, which pushed less on my back. i would love to have been a little fly on the roof at party, to see the egyptian show and yours also,do u have any instructional dvds? Your follower and fan,gypsy