Friday, March 09, 2012

rebel with a shimmy

It is amazing the things that have hit me as different about being in UK compared to Cairo.

Obviously there is the fast pace of life, which i wrote about in my previous blog entry.

and then there is the freedom to be able to dance in public... without fear... if you want to.

speaking to people you dont know.... having a joke with the man in the shop without fear of it leading to a difficult situation.

today on the train i was writing up some notes for my bellydance workshops in Manchester tomorrow and Glasgow on sunday, and I tried at 1st to hide the writing form the man sitting next to me. Until i realised i didnt have to. Same goes when i then watched from youtube clips on my ipod... It felt like i was really rebelling and being naughty!!! That is how much Cairo has got under my skin!!!

I love living in Egypt. I love dancing in Egypt.

But I have always hated the social stigma attached to dance which means i can't be totally honest to people about what i do. Strangers are told i teach when they ask my occupation!

I guess, if i ever move back to UK (not that i am planning it in the near future!!Inshallah!) then the ability to hold my head up high and be proud of the life I live again and not be judged negatively for it will be the silver lining to the cloud of leaving Cairo! Hopefully that day is a long way away!

In the meantime, i am going to shimmy myself silly tonight at the Taste of Cairo night in Manchester. I don't know if they are ready for me or not.... i am feeling in a bit of a crazy mood!!

I'm off to dance and spread some of that crazy rebellious joy!


No comments: